Our client, a leading edge international forest products company with assets and sales of over a billion dollars with a strong global presence has retained our services to source a General Manager.
The ideal candidate is an advanced leader with strategic agility, as well as the ability to communicate vision, inspire and motivate employees while continuously endorsing and promoting corporate excellence. The General Manager requires the ability to provide high-level solution-driven expertise and innovation.
Reporting to the Vice President Operations, you will be responsible for planning and administering site activities in order to achieve budgeted objectives as related to the overall Company strategic plan.
- Develop and recommend short and long term site objectives (1, 3, 5 year plan) as driven by the overall Company strategic plan which involves reporting progress on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis.
- Oversee safety, production, product quality and process controls on a daily basis through reviewing daily reports and communicating with the Production Manager, Maintenance Manager, and Technical and Process Control Manager. Involves immediate follow up with managers regarding production down-time / variation and approval for all maintenance / repairs of plant equipment to ensure optimal performance.
- Foster a team which inspires individual members to take personal responsibility for improving work processes and products which involves managing by example, an open door policy and conducting rounds of the production floor on a daily basis.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual site budget (with input from site Management Team) for the submission to the VP, Operations which involves monitoring / analyzing all expenditures and being accountable for providing explanation for variance on a monthly basis.
- Measure and identify the need for capital investment and equipment which involves recommending capital through the submission of detailed Capital Appropriation Requests to the VP, Operations and CFO / CEO.
- Participate as a prominent Company representative on the negotiating team for the ratification of the Collective Agreement. Union-related responsibilities post-ratification include overseeing the administration of the Collective Agreement, participation in monthly Union Plant Committees and grievance meetings, interacting with Union Representatives to find issue resolutions, etc.
- Review all organizational labour plans with the Production Manager, Maintenance Manager, Reliability Manager and Technical Manager on an annual basis and as required to ensure labour plans (ramp ups or ramp downs) are adequate to meet site production objectives while ensuring alignment with annual budgeted labour allowances.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Sales Team regarding product mix, production requirements and marketing of new high-margin specialty products (in order to meet market conditions and improve margins). Involves participating in monthly technical sales meetings to discuss new ideas, new initiatives, product development and technical breakthroughs.
- Continuously promoting the Company Safety Program to foster a safe work attitude amongst site employees and achieve the goal of zero MIR in the site. Involves reporting safety stats weekly basis, approving all safety related work orders on an ongoing basis, ensuring all management attend weekly safety meetings and reviewing / ensuring implementation of information from the annual employee survey data to improve the effectiveness of the site safety program.
- Provide consistent communication with direct reports which includes the dissemination of highlights from Corporate meetings, technical sales meetings as appropriate and ensuring direct reports have weekly / biweekly meetings with their direct reports to further flow the information.
- Coach and mentor direct reports with a focus on the development of a site-wide succession planning strategy which involves ensuring that all key positions have identified and are mentoring a successor and that all site employees receive annual performance reviews from direct managers.
- Communicate with managers to ensure that all site activities meet required permits and regulations (e.g., WSIB, Health, and Environment). Involves approving any changes to processes to comply with requirements.
- Post secondary education in a related field preferably engineering.
- Required at least 10 years of progressive leadership experience within manufacturing or wood products background.
- Unionized experience required with proven success in building positive ongoing relationships in this area.
- Proven in-depth knowledge of the OSB process an asset.
- Strong business acumen
- Quality decision maker
- Managerial courage
- Process management
- Strategic leader
- Ability to develop direct reports and others
- Intermediate working knowledge of software applications: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook
Permanent Search Group (PSG) is the one leadership and management recruitment firm in Canada that provides growing businesses with the proactive means to evolve their culture through organizational analysis, strategic recruitment and post-hiring services that ensure success.