A privately owned Canadian company, in business for over 50 years with operations situated across Canada and the U.S. The requirement to hire a V.P. of Operations is poised well for significant growth and change over the next few years.
The Vice President of Operations will be responsible for the overall strategic direction, financial results, operational excellence, customer relationship, supplier relationship, and employee engagement for three plant locations. Leadership focus in organization effectiveness increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of each location and operations department. Driving initiatives and collaboration with the management team and organizationally contribute to short and long-term operational mandates.
- Strategic: Creating operational strategies to effectively manage and utilize plant assets to meet corporate goals. To offer operational recommendations when considering M&A assessments.
- Operational Excellence: Create an organization that is passionate about being professional and industry leading in all aspects of plant operations.
- Change Management: Sustained long-term change process, building commitment by explicitly laying out a clear change road-map and monitoring progress.
- Leadership: Develop a strong team that is inspired, motivated and organized to achieve great results over the long term.
- Customer Service: Ensure a consistent product supply to meet sales forecasts.
- Lean: Implement continuous improvement and operational best practices.
- Safety:Provide safety leadership to create a culture where safety is a core value and the team is driving for an injury-free workplace.
- Asset Utilization: Optimize care and deployment of the capital assets of the plant.
- Collaboration: Partner with other teams to ensure alignment on achieving areas of shared accountability such as customer satisfaction and financial metrics.
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Demonstrate leadership in implementing change to institute operational best practices and reduce process variance by driving continuous improvement through Lean activities in all aspects of plant management
- Lead, coordinate, and direct through Plant Managers, Supervisors, all functions of the plant by setting expectations and monitoring delegated activities
- Maintain a safe working environment by ensuring that all safety and environmental procedures and regulations are followed
- Develop plans and procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations to ensure that products conform to established customer and company quality standards
- Be a team leader who develops and engages all employees through regular, clear and consistent performance management and individual development planning. Foster an environment of employee engagement by embracing a culture that encourages teamwork, cooperation and continuous improvement
- Establish and maintain consistent quality control, process flow and visual standards. Optimize raw material inventory levels
- Collaborate with Sales and Operations to optimize the company’s product portfolio to enable scale, minimize costs, and maximize profit
- Create and implement strategies to ensure a dependable, cost effective raw material supply
- Optimize raw material inventory levels to meet customer demand based on sales forecasts
- Effective management of capital project budgets and installations
Core Leadership Competencies:
Vision and Goal Setting: Develops operational vision and translates the vision into action.
Change Management: Creating, facilitating and implementing successful change actions.
Promoting Empowerment: Empowers employees to take risks, supports them and encourages learning from setbacks and failures.
Solving Problems Creatively: Use innovative methods and technologies to get things done. Use collaborative approach to increase rewarding innovation.
Executive Presence: Builds credibility through leadership, confidence and understanding of other people’s perspectives and interests.
Background & Skill Requirements:
- BA/BS/Degree in Business, Engineering or related required. An MBA or other advanced degree an asset
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a leadership role within a manufacturing environment. Previous experience on senior management team
- Leadership – a leader who offers instant credibility and knows how and when to be hands on. A natural down to earth leader
- Industry – Food/ Beverage industry is required
- Strong past examples and success of change management expertise and initiatives
- Experience and success in implementing, driving and coaching lean and continuous improvement initiatives, within a manufacturing setting
- Experience and success in implementing new systems and processes to increase revenue and efficiency while reducing costs
- Strong understanding of full P&L responsibility
Please Note: Candidates without food/beverage industry experience will not be contacted for this search.
Permanent Search Group (PSG) is the one leadership and management recruitment firm in Canada that provides growing businesses with the proactive means to evolve their culture through organizational analysis, strategic recruitment and post-hiring services that ensure success.